Sunday, November 27, 2005

Sex Ed.

Last week I wandered into the high school health office. I was interested to see a panel of wax molds of very realistic body parts with various ailments. I couldn't quite tell what it was about, so I got closer. There were about eight molds of female genitalia, all apparently affected with different STDs. It was interesting to see true-to-life female genitalia just hanging out in the school nurse's office, especially with such gruesome and true to life representation of what STDs do. At first I was shocked.  We don't have these models in high schools in the US. But maybe if students see what STDs really look like, that will make them all the more informed and more likely to take care of themselves. Unfortunately there were only female examples.  Maybe I am assuming too much, but I was dissapointed that the nurse's office would promote the idea that it is only a woman's responsibility to think about STDs.