Saturday, April 10, 2010

Field Trip to Old Sturbridge Village

So much has happened in the last year that I don't even know where to begin. I haven't written in this blog very often, so there is a lot of time to make up. But I think instead of glossing over the last several months, it is more interesting to capture smaller moments that represent a greater experience.
With that in mind, here's an account of today (unfortunately I forgot my camera today):
I helped lead a field trip to Sturbridge Village in Massachusetts for a group of ESL students. My group of 10 students were from Turkey, Korea, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Senegal and Taiwan (and maybe a couple other places - I didn't get the chance to ask all of them). I told them they could walk around as they pleased, but they were so sweet and nice that they said no, we want you to come with us! So I walked around the historical village, which is remade to look like 1800's New England, with these students. The guy from Turkey is from a small village there and he said that basically its the same as this historical village. So this special field trip for us became a reminder of his hometown! The potter, the one-room school house, the scythes used to cut grass and the livestock all reminded him of his birth place in the present day. It makes me wonder, what it is that makes a small town in Turkey hold on to these traditions, but a small town in the US so fast to loose them? Is it because Turkey is a much older country, with an ancient culture?
One of the students was a girl from Osaka, Japan, and we talked a little about living there. Then for some reason she was really curious to know if we have bidet toilets in the US so we talked a bit about that, too. Its curious to see what topics come up when comparing countries and cultures.
Unfortunately it started to rain pretty heavily before lunch time, so since we were all pretty cold and wet we ended up leaving a bit early. But the students all seemed to be in good spirits, so it was a fun trip.
Of course I really love the fact that I actually get paid to do things like this with such interesting people. On the other hand, there are times when I wish I was just one of the students and that I could get to know them more personally. Its a different relationship when I am the teacher, even though I have a great report with most students. I think that one day if and when we are not in the teacher/student dichotomy, I could become better friends with these students. But for now, it is what it is. I am just lucky to come into contact with so many people of all ages from all different countries around the world. I learn new things about people and places all the time: for example, today I learned that Turkey and Senegal are both largely Muslim countries, but that Turkey is also home to many Jews and Christians.
The more you know, the richer your experience!