Monday, October 24, 2005

Saturday night I came home late from a party. Then I got a call from my friend Angel. It was his uncle’s birthday and they would be celebrating all night at a local Peruvian disco. So I turned around and went out to dance. It was the first cold night since I arrived. I stood outside in the dark and cold drizzle, shivering under my jacket, scarf and hat. Angel came to pick me up on his bicycle in a sleeveless shirt. But he wasn’t cold (?). I could hardly bear to pedal the 6 blocks to the disco it was so miserable out. When we arrived, our friends two Peruvian girls Marianna and Harumi were outside waiting in the cold mist until a fight inside subsided. It is a small disco, and apparently not enough space for men to behave themselves. Everynight at the Peruvian discos all civility is left at the door, and after a certain hour it is not permissable to leave without hurling a glass at someone who looks at you funny.