Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Cold, the Freezing Cold!

Its not really that cold. People say it gets cold here in the "heart" of Japan. But compared to Boston, outside here hasn't gotten so bad yet. The difference between the cold here and there is that here there is no heat indoors, and no clothes dryers. As I sit here typing this at my kitchen table - my computer is on the kitchen table because I have closed off the other rooms to conserve heat - my breath dances in front of me in steamy white cloud. In fact, this morning I was blessed with more time to ponder life in Japan as I took my clothes in from my small porch where I had left them to dry the day before. This morning was so special because I opened the porch door to see everything covered in a few inches of bright white snow - even my work clothes for today! As I brought them inside to hang up to dry again, I came to the conclusion that life without a dryer is good - it conserves energy and is more natural - that is, if you live on a Caribbean Island!!!